1. Target Group
- Children in the age group of 3 – 18 years for Education pre-primary, primary, middle and Secondary & Sr. Sec. stage.
- Children in the age group of 19-25 years for Education at Graduate & Post Graduate level including professional courses
- To impart Education at Pre-Primary level in Govt. Model Schools at Pre-Nursery & Nursery Level.
- To impart Education at Primary Level in Govt. Schools from Class Ist to Vth and Middle level in classes VIth to VIIIth
- To impart Education at Secondary stage i.e. Class IXth & Xth
- To impart Education at Sr. Sec. Stage (10+1 and 10+2).
- To impart Education at Graduation & Post Graduation level
- To impart training in Teacher Education (Nursery, Elementary & Secondary)
- To impart training in professional courses in the area of Home Science
- To impart training for teaching of English
- To impart training in Computer Education to the students of different level
- To impart Education to the students / Adults who cannot be enrolled in regular School system / timings
3. Educational Institutions
- 110 Govt. schools for the students of Pre-Primary to Sr. Secondary level.
- Private Recognized Schools also impart education to the students from Pre-Primary to Sr. Secondary level.
- Four Govt. Arts & Seven Private aided colleges in UT, Chandigarh for Graduate and Post Graduate classes which run BCA / F.E., BBA, BA, B.Sc., B.Com., M.Com., MA Music (I & V), MA Dance, MA (Eco.) & Pub. Admn. courses.
- One Govt. Home Science college in Sec.10, Chandigarh Offeres B.Sc. & M.Sc. in the field of Home Science, Food & Nutrition and clothing & Textiles and its allied branches.
- One Govt. College of Education, Sec.20, Chd. Offeres teachers Training to students of B.Ed. course.
- One Regional Institute of English, Sec.32, Chd. imparts In-service training to the teachers of UT and Neighbours states for improvement in teaching of English.
- One State Council of Education Research & Technology, Sec.32, Chd. holds workshops / seminars and imparts training to the Inservice Teachers. It also runs Elementary Teacher Training course for elementary teachers training with capacity of 100 seats.
- There are State Libraries in Sec.17 & 34 of the city to develop the Reading Habit among students and general public.
- 188 Special Training Centres under Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan have been setup in UT, Chandigarh to provide education to the children who cannot be enrolled in regular school systems.
- One State Yoga Health Organization, Sec.23, Chandigarh exists for providing Yoga exercises to Public for their good health.
4. Quality Education
- To impart quality Education only the trained teachers are appointed in different Govt. Schools having qualifications as laid down by NCTE.
- To ensure quality education at College level all the teachers are appointed as per guidelines prescribed by UGC.
- Steps have been taken for maintaining the pupil teacher ratio in Govt. schools around 1:40 .
- Computer education is being provided in Govt. Schools.
5. Welfare Schemes for Different Group of Students
- Mid-Day-Meal is provided to students of classes I to VIII in Govt., Govt. Aided schools and Special Training Centres in UT, Chandigarh.
- Different kind of Incentives and Scholarship for students at different levels.
- Science Education.
- Preparing students of XI & XII (Science group) for competitive examination for entrance to Medical and Engineering Courses
6. Management Structure
- Education Department is headed by Education Secretary. All the policy matter are decided at the level of Education Secretary.
- For the proper control & administration, separate Head of Department viz Director Public Instruction (Colleges) & Director Public Instruction (School) look after College Education and School Education respectively.
- To redress Public grievances, Director Public Instruction (Colleges) is assisted by Registrar Education (Colleges), whereas Director Public Instruction (School) is assisted by Registrar Education (Schools), Dy. Directors & Asstt. Directors & District Education Officer, UT, Chandigarh.
- District Education Officer is directly responsible for the supervision of Schools which are headed by Principals / Headmasters.
For any complaint / grievances the following officer may be contacted :-
Registrar Education, (Colleges ) Registrar Education (School),
Ph. No. (o) 0172-2740704 Ph. No. (o) 0172-2740703