Initiatives taken by Chandigarh for achieving UEE
- Abolishing the fees, funds and Board exams at elementary level.
- Providing free text books to all students Up To Elementary Level.
- Providing free uniform to students Up To Elementary Level.
- Providing Incentives/Scholarships, Excursion, Free Health Check-up etc. to Govt. Schools.
- Providing freshly cooked midday meals comprising of Dal, rice, chapati and vegetables in all Govt. Schools.
- Providing additional contingency grant to schools for upkeep and maintenance of educational facilities.
- Providing Special Trainings to Out of School children.
- Providing free and compulsory education Up To the age of 14 years irrespective of the abilities of children.
Problems in attaining in Universalization in Elementary Education :
- Attainment of UEE is a formidable task because of the peculiar location of the city and migratory character of population.
- Changing Socio Economic Structure towards lower class is resulting in more pressure on Government Schools.
- Child Labour is difficult to be checked.
- Scarcity of Land and Sites for New Schools.
- Pupil Teacher ratio is rising due to shortage of class rooms.